In 1936, Kenneth W. Ford pursued a vision with a single sawmill in the southern Oregon community of Roseburg. From his initiative and tenacity grew Roseburg Forest Products Co., one of the largest, family-owned wood products manufacturers in the nation. The same ingenuity and capacity for hard work that brought Mr. Ford success in the business world also characterized his commitment to "building community."
Hallie E. Ford was a teacher. Like Kenneth, she believed in a complete and continuing education. Hallie was also a painter, and in later years a patron of the visual arts, leaving a legacy of support to the Oregon “arts ecology.”
In 1957, Kenneth and Hallie Ford established a then modest foundation to give back to the timber communities of southwest Oregon. It grew in size, scope, and geography to become The Ford Family Foundation in 1996, with its main office in Roseburg, Oregon, and its scholarship office in Eugene, Oregon.