Children, Youth and Families
Focused on education and well being
On This Page
The Children, Youth and Families department works to increase the number of children in rural Oregon and Siskiyou County, Calif., who are healthy, kindergarten ready and later will succeed in school and beyond.
What We Do
We focus on the youngest members of our rural population, prenatal to age 18. We work with partners, grantees, families and rural communities to support kindergarten-readiness efforts — prenatal until a child enters school, ready to learn. We then support efforts that help youth and their families succeed and be prepared for life after graduation. For children and youth to be successful, they need to be nurtured, have access to health services, and be free from abuse and neglect. Meeting these needs will lead them to a successful transition to postsecondary education and to positive life-long outcomes.
Many things contribute to success in the early years. We are specifically interested in funding grant requests that:
- Provide services to help children and youth be healthy and well
- Strengthen a family’s skills and ability to nurture children/youth
- Create a community culture of awareness and support
- Deliver high-quality education (0-18), including formal and informal education settings
Grant requests need to:
- Meet the Foundation’s eligibility requirements
- Meet the Foundation’s readiness requirements
- Serve populations prenatal to age 18
- Serve communities in rural Oregon or Siskiyou County with less than 35,000 in population not adjacent to or part of an urban or metropolitan area
- Target programs, projects, operating support, capital projects, capacity building, and research
- Generally, range in size from $2,000 - $500,000
What to expect:
- Your online grant application will be reviewed within three weeks of submission and, if it is eligible, ready, a fit with our focus areas and compelling, it will be reviewed for due diligence by a program officer.
- Depending on the size of the request, due diligence could include follow-up email, a phone call or, in some instances, a site visit.
- Very small grants can be decided within two months. Large grants can take up to six months.
- If your request makes it beyond the initial review, we are happy to talk to you about decision timing to aid in your planning.