An unspeakable loss
We recently learned that one victim, Lucas Eibel, was a recipient of a scholarship from The Ford Family Foundation. We are devastated and our hearts go out to Lucas' family. Kenneth and Hallie Ford set up the scholarships to help promising youth in our community, and scholarship students are a special part of the extended family of our Foundation.
There is grieving to do, but for those who are ready, there is work to be done. We know many of you are already involved in the relief effort. But some of you may still be looking for ways to be supportive, so we wanted to share a few things you can do. We have coordinated these efforts with UCC.
1. Donate to UCC relief funds.
Donate online at: The Greater Douglas United Way, or use the text-to-give number (541-214-2822).
Donations also can be made at: The Umpqua Community College Foundation
We strongly recommend that donors cast a careful eye when considering other funds, as some are not based at charitable organizations and might apply high administrative fees. Also, unfortunately, at times like these, there are unscrupulous people who will set up false accounts.
2. Take advantage of grief counseling services.
The Community Health Alliance (CHA) is offering drop-in grief counseling services 9:00 am - 8:00 pm from Friday, October 2 - Tuesday, October 6 at two locations:
- Community Health Alliance Annex B, at 2700 NW Stewart Parkway, Roseburg, Oregon
- The Ford Family Foundation, at 1600 NW Stewart Parkway, Roseburg, Oregon
3. Support a UCC solidarity effort.
Ask those with reader boards in your community to post "I am UCC" or "We are UCC" or any other message that they are moved to share. Download and share the "I am UCC" image.
"I am UCC" decals are also available at the following locations:
· Dutch Bros locations throughout Roseburg and Sutherlin
· Greater Douglas United Way, 702 SE Jackson St.
· Seven 13 Studios, 713 SE Jackson St, Suite 200
· The Ford Family Foundation, 1600 SW Stewart Parkway
· Douglas County Library, Roseburg Branch, 1409 NE Diamond Lake Blvd.
4. Donate blood at your local American Red Cross.
Thank you for all of your support, love, prayers and thoughts. We hope you can hold peace in your heart and loved ones in your arms.
From all of us at The Ford Family Foundation,
Anne Kubisch, President
Karla Chambers, Board Chair